Changes At Sinclair Wellness
In keeping with the Province and my College guidelines, I safely reopened on June 4th, 2020 with new COVID-19 protocols in place. You can book your visit with me at www.sinclairwellness.ca or calling the clinic at 604-629-1120.
Many steps have been taken to minimize the risk of viral transmission of COVID-19 but the nature of massage therapy means that physical distancing is not possible in the treatment room. The following protocols are meant to help reduce the risk of transmission but the risk can’t be eliminated completely. If you are experiencing any cold or flu like symptoms, cough, fever, shortness of breath, reduced sense of smell or have travelled outside of British Columbia in the past 14 days I ask that you reschedule your appointment until you are healthy.
General CLINIC REopening standards
- SCREENING – before entering the clinic, you will notice a large sign stating to stay home if you have any of the following symptoms: dry cough, fever, shortness of breath, fatigue or flu like symptoms. Every client/patient will be required to sign a separate pre-screening questionnaire before entering the clinic for an appointment.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – A plexiglass shield has been installed at the front desk & reception area. Signage has been placed in the clinic common areas to ensure every person maintains adequate social distancing.
- SANITIZATION – please arrive wearing a mask (if you don’t have one, the clinic does have extra masks & hand sanitizing stations set up; one of which is right upon entry to the clinic). All practitioners & treatment providers will be wearing masks & other protection gear as per the Public Health Guidelines.
- PAYMENT - Direct billing and/or debit/credit/etransfer is preferred for any remainders owing.
What to expect when booking your RMT Appointment
I am REQUIRED by CMTBC (College of Massage Therapy of BC) to have a conversation about our safety procedures and perform a MANDATORY COVID-19 pre-screen assessment with you ONE TO TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT, and at the start of your appointment. The assessment tool is meant to prescreen you for any symptoms of COVID-19 before your appointment and gives you enough time to cancel if your health changes between the time you book and come in for your appointment.
I feel this conversation and pre-screen is the most important step. It is MANDATORY and if I do not get in touch with you by the evening before your appointment I will have no choice but to reschedule or cancel your appointment for safety reasons. I understand this can sound extreme so I encourage you to afford me this small request to keep you, me and my colleagues safe.
At time of booking your appointment
- I will confirm via text or email that I saw your appointment and ask that you check out my COVID-19 information page on my website regarding what has changed and what to expect during your appointment. It would be great if you respond to my text after reviewing this page and the protocols so that I know you have seen it and know what to expect (and I can relax!)
- If you have any questions after checking out my COVID-19 information we can discuss all the changes and extra precautions (in detail) with you ONE TO TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT when I do my covid pre-screen.
- If you have seen me before, I will text you one to two days before your appontment to confirm self-prescreen is done and you are healthy and good to go for your appointment. Please respond or I will start calling through the day until I get a reply. If you have any new concerns I am still happy to talk on the phone or via text.
Two days prior to your Appointment
- If this is your first time seeing me, one to two days prior to your appointment you will hear from me via a short phone converstation to go through the COVID-19 self-check presceening.
- This is to confirm you do not have symptoms of COVID-19 and are able to come in for your appointment.
- I want to emphasize that the 24-48 hour pre-screen is MANDATORY. If I am unable to confirm with you then I will have to CANCEL/RESCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT. I don't want to do this, so I will do everything in my power to reach you to confirm (I have even stayed up until midnight to confirm for clients that work late.)
- If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 we will reschedule your appointment at this time.
Day of Your Appointment
- 8 hours before your appointment you will receive via email the COVID-19 screening questionnaire from the clinic.
- Please complete this before your appointment. If you forget to do this before arriving, please do it OUTSIDE the clinic. It is emailed so should arrive to the same email you used for confirmation and reminders. It is easy to complete on your phone.
- Arrive to appointment unaccompanied unless required. Eg: a minor that requires a parent/guardian, infirm and in need assistance, or those requiring a translator etc.
- Please be sure to wear a mask to your appointment, it will be worn the whole time.
- The clinic door will be propped open to avoid surface contact on door handles. If it is locked please wait and someone will let you in.
- Please arrive on time for your appointment. If you arrive early you will need to wait outside, please do not wait inside the clinic. For Sunday appointments, please DO arrive 10 min early and wait outside the security entrance. If you are looking for directions, my IG feed as a section called "DIRECTIONS" with videos on how to get here.
- All practitioners are maintaining a physical distancing of 2 meters whenever possible and appointments have been staggered to provide social distancing.
- You will need to wash your hands upon entering the clinic with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or with sanitizer. This will also need to be done after treatment as well.
- Upon entering the treatment room I will once again confirm you are symptom free and are not experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
- I will be wearing a mask at all times of your treatment. I understand it can be uncomfortable to wear a mask face down so I suggest wearing a paper surgical mask as it is lighter and easier to breath.
- Please avoid touching your eyes, mouth or nose, and be sure to wash/sanitize your hands before and after taking off your mask.
- If this is your first treatment with me since COVID-19, we will do a digital consent form for treatment and COVID-19 safety. Moving forward it will be verbal as before.
- For all subsequent treatments the COVID-19 pre-screening email will need to be done before arriving for your appointment. For subsequent treatments will get verbal confirmation of no changes to health since doing the clinic intake when I see you in the treatment room.
- For payment, I encourage you to request your receipt to be emailed and payment to be tap or e-transfer or direct billing. Please no cash if possible.
Moving Forward, when you come back for another treatment (and I hope you do!)
- The MANDATORY COVID-19 PRESCREEN is still done one to two days before appointment.
- On the day of your appointment you will again be sent via email the clinic COVID-19 screening form to be done before arrival.
- Before your appointment we will once again go through verbal consent for treatment with COVID-19 and confirm there are no changes to your health since filling out the COVID-19 screening form online.
- I am always available via text or email to answer any questions you may have. Every day COVID-19 is changing how we work and live. I regularly update this page with more content as I run into issues or questions are brought up.
What else I am doing to keep you safe
- Options for PPE (personal protective equipment) are available such as gloves, masks, goggles. These are available for you or myself, whichever our preference is.
- Cancellation policy is currently relaxed, if you are sick please let me know and we will reschedule for two weeks time.
- If you are at a greater risk of infection, please let me know and we can discuss extra precautions for treatment (this could be gloves, coming in early or at the end of day etc.)
- I will be wearing wear a mask throughout your visit.
- I will wash hands before and after treatment with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Upon re-entering room, hand sanitizer will be used.
- I am completing the BC COVID-19 Symptom Self- Assessment before each work day along with a temperature check and will not provide treatment if having any symptoms.
- More time is provided (30 min) in between each patient in order to clean and reduce the number of people in the clinic.
- I am keeping careful records of cleaning checklists for each day I am working with to be done after each treatment
- 2 HEPA Air purifiers are in the treatment room. They are kept on low during treatment then high between treatments to cycle air.
- Sanitizer, handsoap, and plastic bin with lid for clothes are in treatment room.
- Electronics such as ipad for consent, square tap device and mobile phone for payment will be wrapped in protective plastic and/or sanitized before and after use with each patient.
- I change my shirt and mask for each client, everything is bagged at the end of the day and taken home for washing
- Daily cleaning checklist has been implemented to ensure proper cleaning of treatment room.
- A laminated copy of my cleaning procedures and checklist has been posted in the room to let you know what I am doing regarding cleaning and sanitizing.
- I am using PreEmpt cleaner for high touch surfaces for the table and chair, pillows face cradle. Surrounding surfaces and floors are cleaned with bleach. Floor is partially moped between treatments around the table and completly moped at end of day.
COVID-19 RELATED FAQ
Recently I have been experencing a variety of situations that I feel would make a good FAQ section. Hopefully they can answer some common questions you may have.
- Why no same day appointments for walkins? This is a requirement set in place by the CMTBC and is meant to confirm each new patient has no symptoms of COVID-19. Obviously at time of booking is the most relevent time to ask about symptoms but we are trying to ensure safety for everyone as COVID-19 symptoms can occure over a period of days.
- Why do you have to cancel/reschedule my appointment if we don't do the pre-screen the 24-48 hours before?Pre-screen is done to ensure you do not have symptoms of COVID-19. Doing this with each and every appointment ensures we are all safe. This is mandatory by the College of Massage Therapy of BC. It may seem a hassle but is very brief conversation.
- I sometimes only know the day of my appointment if I can come in, what should I do?Reach out to me one to two days before the date that you might want to come in to give me a heads up. Do the COVID-19 prescreen with me 24-48 hours before, book the day if you are available. As I am not doing same day appointments the appointment time block will likely be available. This is exactly what I would do if you were on a waitlist.
- I was outside BC in the last 14 days. Why do you need to know this?Cases are rising in BC (right now). Out of Canada travel is required to self-isolate for 14 days before booking an appointment. However, an open and honest discussion is important to understand the nature of your out of province travel as certain areas have increasing rates of COVID-19. For example if you were hiking in the Alberta rockies and were social distancing then I can feel you can come in safely. On the other hand, if you were attending gatherings (think drum circles at 3rd Beach, large group gatherings) where COVID-19 cases have spiked then we might have to postpone.
- You seem to have an awful lot of protocols in place, more than I have seen at other clinics. Is this all necessary?I feel that after two months of working during the pandemic that I have seen a spectrum of people, some have a very casual outlook and some are rightly anxious. I cater to the most conservative to let everyone (including) myself feel safe.
- I really hate talking on the phone and I know I will miss your call, can't we communicate via text or email? You are more than welcome to call or text me instead of waiting for my call the day before your appointment. I text first as everyone seems to prefer that and email seems to go unread. I do this to set a time to talk because it is honestly only a 3 min conversation unless you have questions. I have tried just texting to get the prescreen done but unfortunately a few clients have negelected to reply back to me for pre-screen which has resulted in cancelled appointments.
- Do I have to wear a mask the whole time?You are required by the clinic to wear a mask in all common spaces. I will be wearing a mask through your whole treatment. Since September I have made it a requirement to wear a mask when being treated both face up and face down. If you find your mask too thick to breath in the face cradle I also have paper surgical masks that I can give you.